Have you ever heard of Stoptober? Each year, when October hits our calendars, Sarum Dental practice in Wiltshire actively supports the NHS-led campaign Stoptober, which seeks to help smokers finally kick the habit for their health, future, and loved ones. Wondering how you can get started? Keep reading for our top tips!
Why should you join Stoptober?
The Stoptober campaign unites thousands of smokers to stub out the habit for a 28-day run of clean breathing and no smoking. If you’re a smoker, you’re undoubtedly aware of the health risks, including cancers, heart disease, stroke and COPD, but the downsides don’t just end there.
Smoking is an expensive habit to maintain with an average cost of around £11.46, and this figure continues to rise. Say you’ve just kicked a pack-a-day smoking habit: in as little as three months of smoking cessation, not only will your lung function increase by 10%, but you will have saved around £343! Within a year of not smoking, your risk of heart attack will be half that of a daily smoker, and you’ll also have a sizeable pot of rainy-day savings.
How to have a successful Stoptober
Here’s how you can complete the Stoptober challenge and stub out your smoking habit for good:
- Get involved online: Stoptober has a vast online following of people in the same shoes as you. So why not join the conversation on your favourite social media channel or group and benefit from the encouragement of individuals in a similar situation!
- Know your support tools: Many gums, patches, and medications can help curb nicotine cravings. Researching and trying the options available can be an effective and supportive tool in eventually quitting smoking.
- Reward yourself: Remember, a hard task completed is a milestone to be rewarded. The first day without a cigarette, the first week, the first social event – these are all occasions to be celebrated. And with extra money in your pocket from quitting smoking, you’ll have some spare cash to splash out on a meal, a cinema trip or a hobby you’ve wanted to get involved in!
- Cut down gradually: Whilst the health implications of smoking can’t be understated, you also can’t expect a seasoned smoker to quit cold turkey. You need to trust your instincts and take control of your smoking habit in a way that promises long term success.
- Visit your dentist: The Sarum Dental professionals at our Salisbury practice are available to offer advice in your journey to kicking the habit as well as checking your teeth and gums for any signs of damage caused by smoking. Prevention is better than cure, so we feel it’s best to have your oral health checked regularly, especially if you are, or have been, a heavy smoker.